20 Most Popular Open Source Tools for Developers
You may want to know which Open Source Tools developers use for creating the most current and modern feature-rich projects and to manage their workflow of the projects.
A computer program used by the software developers for creating, editing, supporting, maintaining, and debugging different applications, frameworks, and applications — is called a Software Programming Tool or a Software Development Tool.
Software programming tools can be of many types, such as compilers, linkers, code editors, assemblers, debuggers, GUI designers, performance analysis tools, etc. There are aspects to be considered while choosing the corresponding software programming tool, and it depends on the project type.
Several variables include:
- Business standards
- Tool usefulness
- Tool integration with a different tool
- Selecting an appropriate environment
- How easy to use, the learning curve
Picking the ideal development tool has its influence on the success and efficacy of the project.
Use of Software Programming Tools:
Given Below are several uses of the software development open source tools:
- Software tools are utilized to accomplish and inquire into the company processes, document the development process of this software, and optimize all procedures.
- By employing these tools in the software development process, the jobs’ results will be more effective.
- Working with the development tools, a programmer can easily maintain the workflow of the job.
Here Are 20 Software Development Open Source Tools Popular Today
We have researched and alphabetized software programming and development open source tools. Here are the reviews and comparisons of each software programming tool.
- fully expandable
- works well with data-driven applications
- Advanced features of AngularJS are localization, Directives, reusable components, dependency injection, form validation, data binding, deep linking, etc.
- It is 100% client-based and works on both desktop and mobile browsers like iOS, Safari, Firefox, IE, Chrome, etc.
Atom is an open-source and free editor cum Source code editor that’s hackable, friendly, and up-to-date. Atom helps cross-platform editing and functions for multiple operating systems like Windows, Linux, and OS X. Atom is a customizable tool where you can edit the look & feel of the User Interface, add several crucial attributes, etc., without modifying the configuration file.
- Essential features include a built-in package manager, file system browser, multiple panes, smart autocomplete, find & replace feature, etc.
- Build cross-platform applications with web technologies
Microsoft Azure is a cloud computing service that’s used to design, analyze, deploy, and manage internet applications or hybrid cloud applications via Microsoft’s global network of information centers.
- Offers various services like data management, mobile services, storage services, media services, messaging, migrate apps & infrastructure,
- CDN, caching, business analytics, virtual network, etc.
4. Bit bucket
Bitbucket is a web-based, distributed version control system used for collaboration between software development groups (code and code inspection ). It’s used as a repository for development projects and source code.
- Unlimited private repositories
- Flexible deployment models
- Code collaboration on steroids
Bootstrap is an open-source and free framework for creating projects and websites using HTML, CSS, and JS. Bootstrap is widely utilized to design speedy and simpler websites.
- One can customize it as per their project’s requirement.
- Smart drag and drop facility
- Powerful features like a responsive grid system, sass variables & mixins, pre-built elements, plugins, allow users to make their applications
6. Cloud 9
- Used for scripting, running and debugging the code in the cloud
- the users can work with serverless applications that help move between local and remote testing and debugging activities.
CloudForge is a SaaS (Software as a service) product that’s used for application development. It’s used for collaborative application development in the cloud.
- Secured and single cloud platform
- Elastically balances your teams, projects, and processes.
8. CodeCharge Studio
CodeCharge Studio is the leading and most innovative IDE and RAD (Rapid Application Development) used to make data-driven web applications or business web and intranet systems with minimal programming.
- Supports various platforms like Mac, Windows, Linux, etc
- Supports different Databases like MS Access, Postgre SQL, MySQL, Oracle, MS SQL, etc.
- CodeLobster PHP Edition reconciles & makes things easier in the development process and also supports CMS like Magneto, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc.
- Few powerful and excellent features include PHP IDE are PHP Advanced autocomplete, PHP Debugger, DOM elements, CSS code inspector, auto-completing of keywords, etc.
- PHP Debugger helps the users in debugging the programs at the time of coding and before executing the code.
- CodeLobster allows its users to use the file explorer tools and browser previews.
- The software comes in 3 versions: a free PHP edition, PHP edition lite @ $39.95, and PHP Edition Pro @ $99.95.
Codenvy is a Cloud development environment used for debugging and coding the applications. It can collaborate with other people and can support sharing jobs.
- Few advanced and essential features are PHP Advanced autocomplete, DOM elements, PHP Debugger, CSS code inspector, auto-completing of keywords, etc.
- Offers its users to enjoy the browser previews file and explorer facilities.
11. Crimson Editor
Crimson Editor is a text editing tool that is lightweight and an epic of software development tools just for Microsoft Windows utilized as an HTML editor and source code editor.
Offers a fantastic feature of editing the score of programming languages like C / C++, Perl, HTML, and Java.
Various features include syntax highlighting, print & print preview, multi-level undo/redo, user tools & macros, editing multiple documents, editing remote files directly using built-in FTP client, etc.
- Used across Windows and Linux operating systems, including iOS systems.
- Used to design responsive websites
Eclipse is the most popular IDE that’s used by Java programmers in computer programming. It’s used to build applications not just in Java but also in other programming languages such as C, C++, C#, PHP, ABAP, etc..
- A free and open-source software
- Used in creating desktop web, and cloud IDEs
GitHub is a strong collaboration tool and development platform for code administration and code review. With this GitHub, the users can build software and applications, manage the projects, host the code, review the code.
- Few features make it a useful tool for access control among the team members, code security, integration with other tools, etc.
- GitHub can be hosted on a cloud platform and on servers. It runs on Mac and Windows OS.
Jira is the popular software development tool used by agile teams for planning, monitoring, and releasing the software.
- We can accomplish the work in progress, backlogs, generate reports, etc.
- Works for Linux/Solaris and Windows operating systems.
Linx is a low code tool to Build and Automate web services and backend applications. The tool accelerates automation, development, and the design of custom business processes, such as the integration of applications, databases, and systems.
- Simple-to-use IDE and Server
- More than 100 pre-built plugins programming features
- Works on any operating system like Mac OS, Solaris, Linux, Windows, etc. and supports cross-platform.
- Offers features like writing bug-free code, Smart Code Editing, easy management process, and smart user interface development.
- Run-on Linux, Windows, Mac OS, Unix, etc.
- Lightweight and efficient as it uses event-driven and non-blocking I/O model
19. Spiralogics Application Architecture (SAA)
SAA is a development tool used to specify, design, customize, and publish their own software applications online without any coding.
- Users can pick any pre-built application, modify them according to their requirements, or build it from scratch.
- Interactive dashboard builder, HTML editor, predefined processes, a graphical illustration of workflows & seamless integration, etc.
20. Zend Studio
Zend Studio is a next-generation PHP IDE for debugging, programming, prototyping, which is used for coding, prototyping, debugging, and testing of mobile & web applications.
- 3x faster performance helps in searching, indexing, and validation of PHP code.
- Debugging capabilities given by Zend Studio are using Zend Debugger, Z-Ray integration, and Xdebug.